Shop All Interfacing & Stabilizers

Shop All Interfacing & Stabilizers

Interfacing and stabilizers are typically used between two layers of fabric in apparel and accessories. Stabilizers provide structure for projects like tote bags and crafts, whereas interfacing is generally used to provide more body in apparel projects like shirt collars and facings. The heavier the weight, the more body or structure it provides.

This neutral colored material is meant to be permanently added to fabric. Interfacing is either fused in place using an iron or sewn in place.

Different Types of Interfacing There are several types of interfacing available, each with a specific use. Here are the main types:

Woven Interfacing: This type comes in various weights and is meant to be used with woven fabric such as cotton.

Knit Interfacing: The noted difference of this type of interfacing is that it is actually a knit, therefore it will stretch slightly. Use this type of interfacing when sewing knits.

Fusible Fleece: Soft and lofty, this type of interfacing fuses to the fabric. It adds a thick layer to the fabric making it easier to hold a specific shape. Consider using multiple layers of fusible fleece to create an especially rigid shape.

Fusible Web: Adhesive on both sides, this type of interfacing is used mostly for appliqué. It is also known as Stitch-Witchery or Heat ’n Bond.

Unlike interfacing, stabilizer is created to be removed after stitching. Stabilizer helps reinforce fabric when stitching may damage it. 

 Different Types of Stabilizer

There are three main types of stabilizer to consider:

Tear-Away: Very paper-like, this stabilizer works well with lightweight fabric and light stitch work.

Wash-Away: This form of stabilizer dissolves in water after stitching. Best used when stitching appliqués or when a bit of stabilizer is needed on the fabric’s right side.

Cut-Away: Usually used when working with heavy stitch work, cut-away adds firm support to fabric.

Sorry, there are no products matching your search.

Our brands